The Ultimate Roast Potatoes with a Festive Twist!
“Sarah’s sensational roast potatoes proved to be the star attraction at our recent tasting day in the farm shop, so here’s her recipe due to very popular demand!”
“Three Wise Women” Roast Potatoes
Ingredients (All available from Green Pastures Farm Shop of course!)
Potatoes, 2.5kg; “King Edwards” are best, although “Desiree” and “Stempster” are also highly recommended.
Turmeric, 1-2 teaspoons (The first wise woman!)
Cardamom Pods, 4, de-seeded (The second wise woman!)
Stare Anise, 2 (Wise Woman number three!)
Ground Almonds, 2 tablespoons
Semolina, 2 tablespoons (Polenta or Rice Flour for a gluten free alternative)
Goose Fat, 6 tablespoons
Fresh Thyme and Rosemary, chopped
- Peel and quarter the potatoes and par-boil in tumeric for approx 5 mins. Drain.
- Remove and discard husks from the cardamom and crush in a pestle and mortar along with the star anise until a fine powder. Add to ground almonds, semolina, thyme and rosemary in a bowl and mix together as a dry mix.
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Put the goose fat in a roasting pan and straight into the oven, leave for 5-8 mins or until smoking hot.
- Give the drained potatoes a shake in the pan until nice and roughed up.
- Sprinkle on the dry mix, tossing the potatoes until nicely coated.
- Place the coated potatoes in the fat in the hot oven. Turn 1-2 times until golden brown. This should take around 45 mins depending upon the size of the potatoes.