Anyone who knows us knows that we love our food – why else would we have our own restaurant on site?! But we also love a good cause and being able to contribute to our community. So we have been delighted to be selling ‘Norfolk’s Own Cookbook’, a fantastic idea from one of Green Pastures own customers.
Alexandra Evans is a Marie Curie nurse who lives locally and has contributed to ‘Norfolk’s Own Cookbook’ – ‘Everything Stops For Tea’. Her husband, Clive, contacted us and asked us if we would be able to stock the book, from which every single penny goes to the Marie Curie charity which provides nurses to support people living with terminal illness and their families.
The idea came about from one of the charity’s Norfolk Patrons, Melinda Raker. Melinda, together with local food campaigner Vanessa Scott and Mary Kemp, cookery writer and demonstrator, brought together their knowledge and love of Norfolk ingredients to create a beautifully designed cookery book packed full of recipes from local chefs and bakers.
We think these are a great idea for Christmas presents and all of the £20 cover price goes straight to Marie Curie, absolutely nothing is deducted. You can visit www.norfolksowncookbook.com to find out more or read their blog: norfolksowncookbookblog.com/. In total, over £70,000 has already been raised, of which over £500 has come from our sales at Green Pastures. We would love to be able to double that before the Christmas season is out!
Just to whet your appetite, here’s a flavour of just some of the recipes:
- Praline Tart (Byfords, Holt)
- English Whisky mince pies (English Whisky Co.)
- Vintage Cheddar & Walnut scones (The Mill Café Bar and Restaurant)
- Sausage, Chicken and Apple Pie (Arthur Howell)
- Elveden Estate Guinness & Chocolate Cake (Lord Iveagh, Elveden Estate)
Clive and Alexandra will be visiting us next Wednesday at our Christmas Food and Drink Market and, most importantly, they will be bringing some samples with them of the Pistachio and White Chocolate Shortbread recipe from the book. You may need to elbow your way past us to the front of the queue! Copies of the book will be available for purchase.
Our Christmas Food and Drink Market takes place on Wednesday 25th November from 3-9pm. Come along on the night to:
- Meet Father Christmas (3-6pm)
- Taste our new range of wines and beers
- Try “Festive Street Food” in our award-winning restaurant (5.30-8.30pm)
- Meet local food and drink producers with delicious treats for you to try
- Browse our shops for some Christmas gift ideas